For those who might care… and I know some other homeschool moms just NEED to know, here is how I organized my big bookshelf/bin unit. I know this is not a great picture, but you can kind of see how it works. All the baskets and bins are from Target. My husband and I made the shelf unit a couple years ago to use for scrapbooks and toys so it is custom fit to the bins I chose. But basically it’s a custom made version of the Ikea 5×5 shelf unit that is 6’x6′.
Upper row: Scrapbooking supplies and art stuff (hopefully will move at some point).
Top row: Art, supplies & my stuff
- Art related books: Kids art projects, Books on Artists, How to draw… etc.
- I use this for my daily supplies, books and binders, so it comes down daily.
- My Organizational Binders & reference binders, Timeline binder
- My personal art supplies and sketch books
- School supplies (folders, binders, laminating sheets), guides for next year, guides I may want to use later this year.
Row 2: Skylar’s stuff
- Skylar’s History and Geography resources: larger readers, reference books, maps
- Skylar’s Math and Science add-ons. Books we won’t use daily, but regularly.
- Supplies in drawer unit (stickies, expo markers, staples, tape, glue, etc.), dictionary, AAS cards
- Skylar’s teacher guides: Rod & Staff 3 teacher guide, DITHOR teacher guide, AAS 3 guide, etc.
- Skylar’s texts & guides for later in the year (3B math, writing guides, science guides, etc.
Row 3: Devin’s stuff
- Circle time books for: logic, art, music, fairy tales, nursery rhymes & devotions. Also white boards and calendar time resources.
- Devin’s math workbooks, & mazes (in binders in page protectors so he can do over & over), books about math, sequencing pocket chart.
- Devin’s read-alouds
- Devin’s teacher guides: for Little Hearts, Phonics Museum K, History, etc.
- Devin’s FIAR and FIAR type books (we’ll see if we use these or not… )
Row 4: Art & music and more Devin
- Colored cardstock and construction paper
- Devin’s language and writing resources
- Music History and appreciation books and CD’s
- Unsorted guides and bible resources
- Devin’s independent readers for later in the year
Bottom Row: Games, projects and storage
- Coloring books
- Skylar’s science book basket
- Skylar History, Science and Geography puzzles and manipulatives
- Additional Devin resources for later in the year or next year
- Skylar readers and read-aloud books for later in the year
I cannot tell you how many hours I spent getting this the way it is now, but I like the end result! And I can find things easily and quickly now, which is really the fruit of my labor.